Corporate wellness insights

Why You Shouldn’t Eat at Your Desk

Posted by Matthew on 04.01.2016

healthy-lunchToday’s blog will be brief, but I wanted share an article that caught my eye. It focuses on an unhealthy habit that I’m guilt of myself: eating lunch at your desk. It’s just so tempting, especially when your schedule has a mind of its own and carving out a proper lunch break seems impossible.

According to the article, 62 percent of professionals say they typically eat lunch at their desks. (The cynic in me says the other 38 percent must be skipping lunch altogether.)

The downsides of this practice are obvious enough. We end up sitting for too long. We don’t decompress, which leads to fatigue and hurts productivity. We isolate ourselves from our coworkers. We also tend to snack throughout the day—and those employers who provide unlimited snack food don’t help matters. (I’m talking to you, Google.)

Next week, let’s all try to schedule at least 30 minutes for lunch away from our desks. Add it to your Outlook calendar if you must. I predict we’ll return to work with clearer minds, and our afternoons will be more productive than ever. What do you say?

1 Comment

  1. Mary Beth Albertini

    July 20th, 2017 at 10:13 am

    Great advice. I am guilty! Also, appreciate the brevity of your post. Short and sweet, yet helpful!

    Reply

Leave a Comment