Meal Delivery Services, Explained
Healthy eating is a crucial part of wellness, but finding the time to plan and cook meals at home can be tough for people with busy schedules.
Meal-planning services, which offer recipes and grocery lists that fit your dietary preferences, are one popular option. Meal delivery services take things a step further by shipping all the ingredients right to your door.
Meal Planning Services
How it works: Every Friday, you get your meal plan, grocery list, and prep instructions. The meal plan involves one 2-3 hour prep session at the beginning of the week, and an additional 5-20 minutes of preparation the day the dish is served.
- Diet options: Only Paleo and gluten-free recipes
- Monthly cost: $8.25-$14
How It Works: Meals plans are posted every Friday. You’ll receive recipes and grocery lists for the week that only require 20 ingredients. Preparation takes one hour, once per week.
- Diet options: Classic, gluten free, vegetarian, paleo, dairy free, kosher, for one
- Monthly cost: $6-$18
How it works: View recipes that fit your preferences or dietary restrictions. Select recipes for the week, and Zipongo will generate a grocery list.
- Diet options: Can restrict dairy, eggs, fish, gluten, peanuts, pork, poultry, red meat, shellfish, soy, and tree nuts
- Monthly cost: Free
How it works: Each week, you’ll receive five recipes with organized grocery lists personalized to your diet preference. All recipes are designed to be made within 30 minutes.
- Diet options: Vegetarian, gluten free, diabetic
- Cost: $6-$13
Meal Delivery Services
How it works: Meals are selected by Hello Fresh, customized to your preferences, but you can change the recipes if you wish. Classic and Veggie boxes provide three meals for two people, and the family box has three meals for four people.
- Diet options: Classic, Veggie, Family
- Cost: Starts as low as $69 for classic boxes, $59 for veggie boxes and $105 for family boxes.
How it works: Chef’d offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals. Most are available in two servings, but family-friendly recipes are available. Each recipe is individually priced and can be chosen through a meal plan or individually.
- Diet options: Recipes are family-friendly, gourmet, quick and easy, lighter options, vegetarian, gluten free, Vegan
- Meal plans: Atkins, The New York Times Cooking, American Diabetes Association, Weight Watchers, Spoon University, Tone it up Fresh, Runner’s World
- Cost: $5-$27 per serving
How it works: Each week, you choose from at least eight meal options and can order 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 servings. Recipes take 30 minutes or less to prepare.
- Diet options: Vegetarian, gluten-free
- Cost: Servings start around $11