Feast Your Eyes On This Red Lentil Soup
As you may have read in last week’s post, lentils are jam-packed with fiber and zinc which not only maintain overall health, but also keep your eyes healthy and sharp. Try out this healthy soup for a comforting meal that is bursting with flavor. It is creamy, warm and delicious with a squeeze of lemon to bring all the spices together and add extra zest.
Our health coaching team loves sharing recipe ideas that make it practical to meet health goals. Whether it’s chilly, rainy, or a beautiful day, this healthy soup is perfect when you want to relax and cozy up—while also boosting your eye health!
Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2cups red lentils (sort and rinse before using)
- 3 cups spinach or mix of greens
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Lemon wedges
- In a soup pot, heat the avocado or olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, grated ginger, cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, ginger powder, and salt. Stir to combine and coat the veggies in spices.
- Let cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant, and then add the vegetable broth, water, tomatoes, and red lentils. Stir and bring to a boil, then turn down and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the red lentils are soft.
- If desired, puree half the soup with an immersion blender to make it creamier and thicker. You can also just leave it as is if you prefer a thinner soup.
- Stir in your greens and let them wilt, and then add in lemon juice and zest. Garnish with a lemon wedge and microgreens if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Bakerita.