Case Study: The Power of Screenings and Coaching for Diverse Employee Populations
At Wellness Corporate Solutions, our services aren’t separate offerings: they are programs that reinforce each other and help provide the best possible outcomes for employees and employers.
For a global healthcare client, the combination of biometric screenings and health coaching is proving effective across major health metrics: weight, BMI, and blood pressure.
Biometric screenings are providing their employees with the data they needed to take charge of their health, and our health coaches—all of whom are Registered Dietitians—are using that data in confidential, one-on-one conversations to help those employees reduce risk factors and improve overall health. These core components are part of a comprehensive wellness program run by WCS.
This client also has 53 unique locations for screenings and 183 unique locations for health coaching, including employees in traditional offices as well as labs and plasma centers. Their employees also take on a wide variety of roles—their wellness program needed to serve everyone from sales representatives to phlebotomists. Because of the diverse employee population, it became critical for their wellness vendor to provide quality control across all the individual sites. By using a coaching network that is unified in methodology, as well as providing a dedicated Program Manager with expertise in running national programs, this client was able to see significant results across all unique locations.
- Participants with 3 or more coaching sessions in 2016 lost weight between 2016 and 2017.
- Participants with 5 coaching sessions in 2016 lost an average of 15 pounds between their 2016 and 2017 screenings.
- Participants with 3 or more coaching sessions in 2016 decreased their BMI between 2016 and 2017. Of these, 7% moved down from the “Obese” to the “Overweight” category.
- Participants with 5 coaching sessions in 2016 decreased their BMI by an average of 2.1 between 2016 and 2017 screenings.
- Participants with 3 or more coaching sessions in 2016 decreased their blood pressure 1.5x more between 2016 and 2017 screenings than participants with fewer than 3 coaching sessions in 2016.
- 30% of participants with at least 3 coaching sessions in 2016 decreased their blood pressure risk at least one level (i.e., from “Elevated” to “Normal”) between 2016 and 2017 screenings.
- 9% of participants with at least 3 coaching sessions in 2016 (i.e., from “Stage 2 Hypertension” to “Elevated”) between 2016 and 2017 screenings.
“Biometric data provides a jumping off point for health coaches to work closely with participants and tailor sessions to their needs,” said Melissa McDonough, Director of Coaching Operations. “Our coaches are inspiring positive behavior change that lasts.”
For participants who have their screening results, health coaches are able to put their numbers in context, share practical advice for moving forward, and look at their health and wellness goals as a whole—to not only improve biometrics, but also gain confidence, self-esteem, and mental wellbeing.