Snack Smarter: 8 Ways to Hydrate and Fuel at the Same Time
Water is essential to life: we literally could not survive without it. When hydrating, most of us consider water as our go-to beverage. However, it’s only human that our bodies crave variety over time. Hydrating with plain water alone can get boring and might not always be what our taste buds are looking for. It’s a good thing that some flavorful foods actually are a great source of water! Hydrating snacks are a great way to accomplish multiple goals at once.
Most fruits and vegetables have a water content of around 90%, making them a great alternative to drinking plain water to keep hydrated. Aside from hydration, these foods also provide a wide array of other healthy nutrients. Fruits and vegetables are jam-packed with vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients to support healthy metabolism and immune function. They also are full of fiber, which slows digestion to keep you satisfied and full for longer, and are low in calories. With the variety of fruits and vegetables available, it’s easy to find flavors that will satisfy.
While eating fruits and veggies in any form will provide water and nutrients, eating them raw will provide optimal hydration as much of the water is lost during cooking. Fruits and vegetables are already a part of meal time for many of us, but they can also be a great way to hydrate and refuel between meals! Here are eight simple fruit and veggie-filled snack options that can give you an energy boost while also replenishing some of the fluids that are naturally lost during the day.
- Grapes or apple + 1 cheese stick
- Berries + plain Greek yogurt + a sprinkle of dark chocolate chips
- Tomato slices + 1 ounce mozzarella cheese + salt and pepper + basil
- Gazpacho (cold Spanish tomato soup) + 1 hard cooked egg
- Watermelon pizza (watermelon wedge + yogurt + blueberries)
- Lettuce + seasoned canned tuna
- Bell pepper strips + 2 tablespoons hummus
- Cucumber slices + 1 ounce turkey breast + ½ medium avocado
Feel free to share other ideas for hydrating snacks in the comments!